Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Vintage Cards!!!

Hurray! I'm so happy girls! I bought some vintage children's greeting cards with my Christmas money! I've been pining for some ever since I saw them on Priscila and Lindsey's blogs and in some blog headers, too. From what little research I've done, I especially love the cards from the mid 40s- to the early 60s. I love the vivid colors and the roundness of the faces. Can you tell that some of these have "velvet"? That's what really makes them pop! I bought all my cards from Etsy shops. This Christmas batch includes a fold out card- the Elephant below. (Um.... Ooops...this next card isn't mine! ~ Blush ~ It belongs to Linda but it wasn't a good morning for working with pictures so please admire its cuteness but know it's not really supposed to be here! ;>)

Okay, so now here's the fold out card! Cute, Huh? ;> Look at the Kittie's tummy!!!! OH, my! Eeek, eek, eek!

And for my favorite cards of all! Kitty cards!!! These can be in pastels.




I didn't even know that the kitties in the box was a pop up card! Look below!

I actually squeaked or was it an squeal? when I opened it!

Can you tell it's a pop up? My photos wouldn't open for editing so this is the best I could do for lighting.
One of these days, I want my own custom banner made with cards like these. My MOST favorite cards that I've seen are of little girls with kitties but I don't have any of those yet.
Now I'm looking at valentines on Etsy! Those are really cute too but again- it's only a certain era that I *really* like. Anything earlier than the 40s or older than mid 60s and they don't really "do" anything for me. So now, being the analyzer that I am, I have to figure out WHY some things "do" me and others don't!!! :>
Thank you, Lord for a wonderful life!
And thank you, Lord for my wonderful girls!
Have a great day, girlfriends!

16 comments:

*Noelle* said...

very cute! i'll chat more later; getting ready to leave soon. hopefully they have some yummy wedding cake at the bridal show.

noelle*

Holly said...

Hi, Noelle! I thought you had *already* gone to the shower! :>

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You've got some adorable cards! I love the Santa Claus one. He's my favorite style of Santa Claus. So much happier that the victorian styles.
Sometime we shoud do a swap of handmade goodies made using vintage card images! Sounds like fun! I should look through my cards for kitties!
Lindsey

*Noelle* said...

hi! i was first today; haha!! i am so excited- one of the vendors at the bridal show today does custom wedding invites for AWESOME prices compared to what I have found online; i think i am going to end up going with her!! it was a fun day:)

brian and i are off now for our second "date" in a month; that never happens!!!

noelle*

Holly said...

I knew you'd like them, Lindsey! Yes, I like 50s Santas best of all. I think some of the Victorian ones look downright scary!!!! :> Santa should be fat, cute and happy!

A swap sounds like fun! Every time I've taken a break today, I've looked through the Flickr cards! I have a bunch in my favorites now. I haven't even looked at decals yet. The ones I saw were on eBay.

I'm glad you came by, Lindsey!!

Holly said...

Noelle... Duh, duh, duh! Bridal SHOW!!! Ha-ha! I thought you were going to a bridal SHOWER! Ha-ha! What a day! WAKE UP, HOLLY!

That's great about the custom invites. I hope you show us once you decide. So, did they have good cake? ;>

gin said...

Those are cutie cards. I like the kitty cards too. What you gonna be up to this coming week? Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this coming week!!

Holly said...

Hi, Gin! "Spring" cleaning has turned into "Painting the living room"! Ha-ha! I'm crazy. I've got several different projects going on. :> It's fun!

sweetmemorymakingmom said...

Hollly, I love your vintage cards. I have been wanting some really badly too. I check them out on ebay but they get too expensive for me. I will definitely keep looking.

And yes, I would love a cookie. They look yummy sweet! hugs, Ellen

Sweetina said...

Hi Holly!
thanks so much for stopping by with all your sweet well wishes.
I am up (laying on couch instead of in bed)but still only having water and hot tea.
Lucky tomorrow my husband will come up to mail your parcel.
Gosh your post with the beautiful cute card pictures has perked me up.
I do love the girls and kitties!
And elephants and...well all of them.
I will so keep you in my mind when i am able to thrift again!
I hope to be back online soon...miss you all.

Jenny S said...

So pretty! I too love old cards. Check on my blog for Elizabeth Holcombe..she has some cards in her etsy shop that you can get to through her blog!

Queenie~ said...

Hey Holly!
Oh, the vintage cards are precious...I love the kitty ones too. Your pink bag is really cute too, and what a sweet gift from your daughter in-law...and you did great on the decoupage mirror....girl, you are so pretty...and congrats on losing 12 pounds too, you look great! What a great idea to have a mirror beside the refrig. I wish I could do that. I only have a very tiny wall there, but I do have mirrors in the living room. LOL! About decoupage.... I have tried decoupage before, but I made my own paste with the glue water ratio mix....I've forgotten now what it was....and it didn't seal good and started peeling. Did you use Modge Podge or something like that to seal it good? I think decoupage is so pretty and it's fun to do too.I'd like to try it again.

I'm so glad you found out the name of your plate, it is fun knowing what it's called isn't it?
Well, I Hope you have a great night sweetie...I'll be over again soon!
xoxo,
Queenie

Priscila said...

screammmmmmm...loving these cards girl!!!!! Jelous!!! I would like to have a vintage card swap sometime...where we can exchange a certain number of cards!!! That would be fun...I just love vintage cards. Ill look at what I have and send u a couple because I HEART you!!! hehe

Holly said...

Thanks for coming by Ellen, Tina, Jenny, Queenie and Priscila! Sorry I missed you all last night!

Ellen, check out Etsy for cards.

Tina, you've got a little something on the way to you today. ;>

Jenny, Thanks for the tip. I did see Elizabeth's cards before but there were more there than I would want. I guess i could ask her to decrease the pack and lower the price but my Christmas money is all gone now! :>

Queenie, use modge podge. it goes a long way for the price.

Priscila, Nah-nah-nah-nah -nah- nah! He-he!

Pearl said...

Hi Holly... I ♥ your Vintage Cards... and I love the old Post Cards as well... Your Kittie Cards are so adorable! I look forward to seeing more of your treasures! Thanks so much for your recent visits 'n kind comments... very nice of you! God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Holly said...

Hey, Pearl! How did you get a little heart to come up in your words?!