Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Relationship With Cross Stitch

Even though it's blurry, I was so happy to find this pic on the Internet! (Do you remember this, Rika?) This is a small copy of a Creative Circle cross stitch sampler that I did in the late 80s /early 90s. Do you more mature chicks remember that company? My friend Sally was a rep and she taught me how to cross stitch. I spent so many happy hours (and some occasional frustration) while working on this piece and drinking coffee with my friend Kate. I'd also work on it while watching decorating/crafting shows. I was so proud of myself for learning how to cross stitch because I loved the look of it and I still do. This quilt sampler was offered with a companion piece that I also worked on but I *couldn't* find a pic of it anywhere. It was an apple pie on a checked table cloth in a country kitchen. It took me years to finish them both. But I don't have either of them any more. This tiny sampler below- the first I ever finished is all I have to show for my years of happy toil. The frame is melted and the sampler needs washing but it's mine and I did it. ☺


So, why don't I have the other 2 larger pieces? Well, I washed them to prepare them for framing and all the colors bled horribly onto the cream colored back ground! I asked around but nobody knew how to fix them. They sat in my craft drawer for years- mocking me. I thought, "I'll somehow have them repaired some day." But I never did and every time I looked at them, my heart would sink and I would feel angry. So when I made my big move from Washington to Michigan, I gave them to the Goodwill. I bet there was a way to fix them and I could find the answer from the Internet now but what's done is done and now when I hear the word "cross stitch" I feel a bitter sweetness. Oh well, I think crafting should be fun! No frustration- just creative bliss! I think rag wreaths are a lot more fun and easier too!

I hope you girls can find a craft that makes you happy and that none of your projects are bitter sweet!

~ ♥ ♥ ~

12 comments:

*Noelle* said...

i always wanted to learn to cross- stitch! i see sooo many cute things that you can make:( yours came out really cute ♥

thanks for your kind words on my new blog! you keep me going on many days, girlfriend:)

hugs,
noelle ♥

Holly said...

Good morning, Noelle! Glad I could cheer ya on today!

Guess what? Bobby comes home tomorrow night! I'm going to wear the necklace you gave me. Bobby probably won't notice but I will and I'll feel pretty! ♥

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Holly, I was mezmerized reading this like a story unfolding. Couldn't wait to see Why you didn't have these anymore. So sad. Your quilt picture was so pretty. I also was into cross stitching around that time. I don't do it anymore because I can't see the little holes very good and my hands shake too much. I hope you have a wonderful day! Twyla

Holly said...

Thanks, Twyla! I've been in a story telling mood lately. I tried cross stitch again but yeah, too much work to be fun anymore! ♥

Ulrika said...

I don't think I can remember that cross-stitch - but I have a plastic butterfly-shaped "floss-holder" (maybe they have a different name?) that you gave me, and it says The Creative Circle on it. You also gave me a lot of floss and a couple of small cross-stitch pictures, even one you had started on. That must have been after you decided not to cross-stitch anymore. :-)
I haven't done any cross-stitching myself since my early 20's. When I was 9-12 years old I did quite a bit of embroidery and really enjoyed it but now I think it's too time consuming. Maybe I'll teach Melody (who just turned 9) in the fall, she would probably like that and maybe it would help her to learn more patience!
Hope you have a beautiful day with the Lord and that Bobby has a safe trip home!
Love,
Rika

Sandi said...

Hi Holly,
Thanks for stopping by my blog again. I remember cross stitching my heart out years ago! I couldn't do it now if my life depended on it. I even sold some of my finished pieces at garage sales for a little of nothing. I especially loved cross stitching on paper. Oh what memories!
Blessings ~

Holly said...

Hi, Rika! Funny- I remember that butterfly floss holder, now that you mention it but I don't remember giving you any pictures...

I did a lot of embroidery when I was 10-11. It was one of the very few things that my mother ever taught me. I'd like to take it up again some day since I think it's much easier than cross stitch! I like to try my hand at all sorts of different crafts. ♥

Sandi! Thanks for coming by! We must have been a part of the country cross stitch craze. ☺ ♥

Karen said...

Hi Holly,
Hope you had a great Easter. Just got back online today so I have some making up to do but I just had to stop by and say hello and let you know your cross-stitch projects are so sweet. I especaily love the quilt one! My mother-in-law used to make cute little pictures for me and my daughter!
Have a lovely evening.

Holly said...

Good to see you, Karen! I've been wondering how you are! ♥

Sweetina said...

Hi Holly!
I love both those cross stitchings that you made! Excellent job! It is calming i bet and relaxing to stitch them.
Hugs
Tina

LaurieStar said...

I did a lot of cross stitch when I was younger because my Mom thought I ought to. I did enjoy it a bit but I think it was a bit too meticulous for me and I'm into instant gratification! I do understand your bittersweet feeling though! I think it's good that you've moved on! :)

Holly said...

Thanks for coming by Tina and Laurie! ♥