Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Antiquing!

Happy Wednesday, girls! When we headed over to WV last week to go antique shop hunting, we found I shop still on the Virginia side and 2 antique malls on the WV side! The first antique mall we went to was in a big emptyish building and you could tell it was just getting started up. It wasn't organized all that well and the displays were not nice like the shop pics I've seen in blogland (Like Suzanna's!) But wouldn't you know it, that's where I found my best treasure! Here it is- my children's (baby?) chenille bedspread!


Eeeek! Isn't it cute?! It's quite small- must be for a toddler bed because it wouldn't work in a crib. I only paid $12.00 for it! Seemed like a good deal- do you think, Twyla? I loved this blanket so much that it sat in my lap all the way home and it was hugged and giggled over several times! ☺

I love the Yellow, Blue and Pink!


Although I was able to get the colors right, I never could get the lighting the way I wanted it.

Close up of the flowers! I love them!

At the same mall, I also found these salt and pepper shakers for $1.50. I liked them but they didn't make me Eeek. ☺ They go well in my Red and Yellow kitchen.

The next mall was *very* nice but all I bought was this Pink and Blue hankie that was on sale.

The colors are so sweet! I looked through all the hankies because I want one more with dark blue in it for the hankie bunting I have planned for my living room. I never did find one with dark blue in it but this one made up for it. ☺

I also picked up a few sweet things from the Dollar Tree! Our own Dollar tree closed down so it was a treat for me to get to go to a new one. Here's some polka dot tissue paper, rose candle holders and gift tags. Fun!


It was really fun to explore WV. We even found a day old bakery and bought some yummy bread. The main town we went to has a Chinese restaurant buffet so I think Bobby will be willing to go again some time. ☺ It's too far for me to want to drive there alone with my old van...
*******************************************
I've been planting lots of flowers. You'll hear me say that a lot. ☺ I plant April- June and then I stop and just enjoy. I have extensive flower beds in the back and I like to have a lot of pots and baskets up front, too. I've been wanting to get the porch all decorated up cute so I can show you but Micah has invented the game of porch hockey so for now, my porch is a gaming field!
I've been collecting fabric for the rag wreath I want to make for the porch. I really didn't have any bright colors to work with so It's taken some hunting at the Goodwill to find what I want.
Well, this is our first day back on day shift. Bobby was willing to let me sleep while he answered the alarm but I woke up before the alarm went off! Oh well! after 9 months of no alarm, it's quite jarring to have to obey one again!
Micah is still off from school until his glasses come in so we'll probably have another cleaning day and maybe some yard work if it doesn't rain- again.
Hope you all have an awesome day, girlfriends! ♥

27 comments:

Faye said...

You did great!Love the spread!Have a great day! Blessings, Faye

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh yes, Holly, that was a Very Good deal on that spread! You know I am Jealous! I would have thought that it would've cost twice that much. It would look so cute with some baby planters:) Sometimes you find your best treasures in flea markets that you think is too junky to find a thing. I'm so glad your day was successful and you got so lucky. I have never even seen a children's chenille spread. Have a wonderful day! Twyla

Holly said...

Thanks, Faye- you, too! ♥

Holly said...

Morning, Twyla! ♥

It seemd like a good deal to me but I wasn't sure since I'd never priced them before. I should have mentioned that it is in really good shape except for some thin spots in the middle and a slight tear on one corner. I love it!

It would look cute along with some baby planters. I did see some cute planters but they were all priced too high. I'm waiting for one to show up at the thrift stores instead!

Persuaded said...

oh the cute-ness!! i adore adore adore that giraffe blanket... i would have hugged it and giggled all the way home too;)

Priscila said...

the bedding is soooooooooooo cute! You did so good getting that. Where are you going to put it? Do with it? Its so fun to see ur treasures

Katie said...

I love your finds, those salt and pepper shakes would've made me go eek that's for sure! Glad you had so much fun, you got a lot of treasures! I don't seem to have as much luck as you, so I'm happy you found some cool stuff.

Holly said...

Diane, When I first started visiting girl blogs and saw those old chenille pieces, I *knew* I wanted some! Such fun memories of child hood! I thought I would have to settle for some scraps or something- never imagining what the Lord had in store for me! ♥

Priscila, Good to see you, sweets! For now, the blanket is going to stay on the guest bed but I'd like to hang it on the wall somehow. ♥

Katie, the shakers look great in my kitchen but that baby stuff really does me in! ☺ ♥

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Holly, I forgot to mention that that hankie is one of the pretties ever! Most of my baby planters were inexpensive, like under $4. I do see them sometimes wanting crazy prices for them. Twyla

*Noelle* said...

hi! glad you are back:) great finds; i think i love the dollar store stuff the most!!! love the polka dots!

can't wait to see all your flowers in bloom:)

hugs,
noelle ♥

Julie said...

Girl...You really got some precious treasures! The little blanket is soooo adorable. You got such a good price for it. Have a beautiful day..julie

Persuaded said...

holly.. i mentioned you on my blog today;)

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Holly,
That is a sweet baby bed spread!!
It's always fun to "hunt" for treasures and than stop for treats!!
Guess I should check out the local dollar store...maybe tomorrow...after going to garage SALES!!!
Deb :)

Shabby Kim said...

Happy Wednesday Holly... you sure found some sweet things on your antiquing trip. Everything you found is just wonderful, but I especially love that adorable chenille baby blanket. I probably would have bought it myself if I had seen in first... :)

Forever Vintage said...

I have a baby chenille spread very similar to the one you found. I inherited mine from my MIL. Sometimes the store you don't think will have anything ends up the one with all the goodies!

Jenny S said...

You are so sweet Miss Holly!! It is so fun, but still a little surprising to see Suzanna's name in print!! I wish we lived closer...imagine me giving you a BIG HUG!!! Thank you!
Love the bedspread! As a child I collected giraffe's and that would have been cute in my collection!

Holly said...

Twyla, Noelle, Julie, Diane, deb Kim and Karoline! ♥ Thanks for coming by and admring my goodies today! I've been a busy girl just a SCRUBBING my kitchen! I had a blast- even my fingers hurt! ☺

Twyla and Diane what fun to get to see you twice today! ♥

Holly said...

Ooops! Just found your comment, Jenny! You know it's funny, I found myself wanting to arrange things more prettily at the shops and I think it's because of your influence. ☺ ♥ You girls do a great job. Who knows, maybe I'll make it over there and get that big hug when I'm no longer tired of traveling.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I just love that chenille blanket with the giraffe! Adorable...

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Peggy. said...

That baby quilt is precious! I would have hugged it all the way home too.
Peggy

Tina said...

wow - you are a girl after my own heart. I went junking on mothers day at the rose bowl flea market bought some fun stuff, too. great buy on the chenille blanket for sure. they can run as high as 25.00 for something that size. I have priced them before (at least out ehre in cali) - great finds.

Ann said...

Nice finds...I love the pink and blue hanky the most. That looks like such a fun activity.

Holly said...

Carrie, Peggy , Tina and Ann, I'm glad you could enjoy my finds with me! My guys just don't "get" it. ☺ ♥

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Hi Holly...yes my shelves are all built in! They were in when we bought the house. Can you believe we thought for a moment about taking them out to make the room bigger? I am sooo glad we didn't. Originally I had taken over the guest room for my craft studio...but as you can see I grew out of that space quickly. And my packing area is actually a built-in window seat....we weren't using it as a seat so I took over that area as well! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carrie

Beth Niquette said...

What wonderful detail! Thank you for sharing!

Lisa said...

HI! Thanks for visiting me! I had to comment on this post 'cuse I love the tags! I just got some on monday after I saw them on another blog! How cool we can all be connected even far apart! Only we're not that far I'm in NC! I get to shop at Suzanna's! Not bragging just a GREAT place. Come visit sometime!
Hugs,Lisa

Holly said...

Hi, Lisa! Oh lucky you, getting to shop at Susanna's! How fun that you bought the same tags! I love the Dollar Tree and wish we still had ours! 3