Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Thursday, February 11, 2010

This Old House- Carbon Cottage


(I hope to have a "grand kids short but sweet visit" post put up soon but in the meantime, here's a post from draft. )


Hello girls! Given the fact that I've moved approximately 30 times in my life I thought that from time to time, I would show you some of the old houses that I have lived in. This is*not* the house that I'm living in now.

The longest I've EVER lived in one house was 5 years and it was in this little cottage in Washington state- my home state. I wish I had a better picture... See those Blue skies? Yup- the Bluest skies you've ever seen! See the picket fence? I loved it! My husband and older boys made it for me from cedar siding. I was so sorry to leave that fence but we wanted to move our boys to the country. My older boys made a trip to this house recently and their fence still stands!


This is the only house in town that we have ever bought. Other than this cottage, we've always bought or rented country homes. See the cute lattice work? My idea. ☺ It was when Burgundy was all the rage! It's hard to tell in this pic but I had a little Burgundy heart on the planter on the porch and on the wreath at the door, too. I had so much fun decorating that tiny porch in different ways. People out sight seeing used to take pictures of my little cottage- even the locals. Yes, I'm bragging AND exaggerating! It was just one tourist and one local. ☺ The local was my neighbor who lived in the BIGGEST house in town so when she wanted to take a pic, I was flattered. I had a quilt hanging on the line that day so maybe it was more the quilt than the house! ☺

This cottage was located in a tiny, former coal mining town called Carbonado. It was up in the mountains near Mount Rainier and this is actually an old coal miner's shack. Cottage sounds cuter though, dontcha think? ☺ We worked *really* hard on this little house and yard and we eventually sold it back to the person who originally sold it to us! This was only a 2 bedroom cottage but we turned the utility room into a tiny bedroom for one of the boys and we turned the attic into a bedroom, too!

Sorry I don't have good pictures of the inside. I do have a VHS tour of it that I made for relatives that I hope to convert to DVD someday. Through the years, I have had SEVERAL dreams that we've moved back to this house and it is always so real! I'd never want to move back, though. Living there was like living in a fish bowl. There wasn't one place in my yard where I could go and be unseen. I need my unseen time!

Have a great day, wonderful girls- wherever YOU live!

14 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Holly....Thanks for visiting my blog! Looks like you have lived in a lot of places! I guess that makes it a good excuse to redecorate a lot! Yes, the snow is pretty when it is fresh but I am looking forward to seeing some spring flowers come up! Have a great day!~Patti

Rebecca said...

Holly Girl...Love your little cottage. Such sweet memories of your time there.

We've only owned one home...the one I live in now. We were married 14 years before we purchased it in 1992 and I've loved it ever since. Always a project in the works but that's OK!

Happy Valentine's Day, Sweets!

Love, Rebecca

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweet Holly...
I so love this little cottage that you once lived in. You had it fixed up so sweet. I love the burgundy trim, and what woman does not dream of the little picket fence? You hubby and boys made it come true for you. I am like you though, I need a little privacy now and then.

Oh Holly my Valentine came yesterday sweetie, and I have to tell you, it was the most precious thing ever. I will always treasure it, and my 2 little vintage Valentines. I am going to have to start collecting them too. I just love the look, and I could make a little scrapbook to start putting them in. You have so inspired me.

I am home today, my blood sugars were unusually high, I am very shaky and could not go in to work, so it gives me a little time to read today. Thank you for sharing with me from your heart. I was doing the "happy dance" sweetie. Yep, I sure was.

From the bottom of my heart thank you for being such a wonderful friend.

Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Holly, I just can picture you there in that cute little house. I've probably moved 8 times since we got married and I thought that was a lot. Have a nice day! Twyla

Sheila said...

Holly thanks for sharing part of your life with us. We have moved several times as well. But always for the better. I know what you mean about the alone time. We now love out on ten acres and no houses in close range at all. you could go in your birthday suit if you wanted. Love the lattice work you did. I have some lattice in our pole barn waiting on me to give it new life.. Some day.. lol when there is no snow..

Persuaded said...

That is such a sweet little cottage, and I can definitely see your hand in it! I completely know what you mean about living in a fishbowl though- I live in one now! My yard is so tiny and the houses are so close we are right on top of each other. The bay window in my dining room practically hangs over the neighbor's driveway. And we can tell what the other family is having for dinner each night without even trying to be nosy, we're practically in the same room,lol! But there's lots to love about this house as well... so you know I focus on the positive☺

koralee said...

Thank you so much for visiting me...your blog is lovely. I lived in the same house all my growing up years..and my parents still live there. This cottage looks so sweet. xoxo

Jacqueline said...

Oh, I could write a good story about my Holly...the author of course would be Molly but Holly and Molly could live in that playhouse and oh what fun we could have. That is the cutest little house. I would consider that not a cottage but your very own storybook house. Memories made there. You never know what tomorrow may bring. Perhaps if you wish hard on a star, you may be there again...Love you! I'm busy over at The Enchanted School room with Mrs. Kit Kat and a whole lot of girls and kittens..milk time!

GWENDOLYN said...

What a sweet and charming little cottage. Have any interior pictures? I bet is was just as adorable inside!
Blessings!
Gwen

Ulrika said...

When I first saw the photo of the house I didn't remember it, strange! But I do remember how everything looked inside quite well.
Love you,
Rika

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

hi sweets! i REALLY want a white picket fence one day!! lucky girl!

so any plans for the move?

hope you've had a fab time with your family!!!

noelle ♥

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Holly.......

Ahhhhhhhh...........what an adorable little COTTAGE......Yep, I agree, cottage sounds so much better and it suits the little home too!

Yep, blue skies.......NOT......it's been POURING here. Those BIG 'ol Washington drops. YIKES!

Big hugs dear one!

Spencer

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

It is just adorable Holly, I love it!!! I love the memories you shared too!! The lattice is darling and the fence is just perfect!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us :)
Love,
Amy

Queenie said...

Oh I love the cottage! I can understand your wanting to be in the country though...I didn't know what real living was, until I got my place in the country. It makes ya feel so free doesn't it?
I would love to have a little cottage someday...that's my dream! One like this with a picket fence would be just right!
Thanks for sharing...
Big Hugs,
Queenie