Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Cutie Pie Lampshade Tutorial- Sort of!

I bought this old hobnail lamp at the Goodwill a long time ago. It needed a lampshade so I finally gave it one! It started out the dirtiest, ugliest ole thing you can imagine!

I cut out a lampshade pattern with unwanted paper first and then chose this yummy dot paper for the final cover up job. I cut out 2 pieces like this:



And one piece like this. It was incredibly difficult for me and I can't even begin to tell you how I did it! Ha-ha! Can you tell that I notched the tops? That was for folding over the top of the shade.



I used 2 kinds of glue: Tacky and hot. ;)


I used tacky glue for gluing down the notched top. I put the glue directly on the lampshade and glued one section at a time. I kept a wet cloth handy for wiping the glue off of my fingers as I would go. Sorry this is so blurry on this cloudy day but you get the nothching idea- right?


I used tacky glue for the side seams also and then a drop of hot glue on the bottom corners. I ended up gluing it wrong, burning myself and I created too many seams but I'm still happy with it. Here it is looking cute on my craft table. (The seams are hiding!)


Oh, and I hot glued the pom pom trim around the bottom which in my opinion is absolutely perfect with the hobnail!

You likey?

18 comments:

Diane said...

Looks great. I have a lamp similar and was not sure what to do with the lamp shade make-over. Thanks for the tutorial. Diane

Holly said...

No "sort of" about it. It was a great tutorial! It is just adorable, you did an amazing job.

Nan said...

great tutorial and this opens up all kinds of looks possible.

Tamera @ the Stone Fence Cottage said...

ADORABLE!!!! I have a "thing" for little vintage lamps and am going to use this paper idea for a new shade for one in my stash. I usually use fabric but there is so MUCH cute paper out there!!!

GardenofDaisies said...

I love milkglass! And this dotty shade with the pompom trim just looks adorable!!! Thanks for sharing how to do it!

Linda Ruthie said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! :-)

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Holly! What a great job! It looks so cute! I love that polka dot paper. Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Twyla

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful and sweet!

Queenie said...

Yes, girl I likey! It's adorable :)
Thanks for the tutorial on how you did that...Easter Blessings to you and yours sweetie...
Big hugs,
Queenie

~~Carol~~ said...

How cute! I've always wanted to do this, but have been too scared to give it a try. But even if I make a mistake, it's better than an ugly shade, right? Great tutorial!
Happy Easter,
Carol

Roselle said...

I LOVE it. I actually have a couple thrift hobnail lamps laying around waiting for a shade and I can never find one.
I am shade illiterate and won't even bother trying to make one. You did great!
Happy Easter
xo
Roselle

Sugar Pink Boutique said...

That is a wonderful tutorial I just love this lamp! You did a BEAUTIFUL job thank you so much for sharing! God bless, Jennifer

My Vintage Mending said...

Miss Holly it looks like we are one in the same. I am clicking that follow button next. You have such great posts here. Thanks for stopping and getting me over here. Loving it all! Smiles...Renee

Tracy Suzanne said...

Hi Holly, I was glad to see you stop by and visit today. Your blog is just so cute with pretty stuff everywhere you look. Your lamp's adorable.

Happy Easter...Tracy :)

Shelia said...

No matter how you did it - the lampshade is adorable! My mother had two of these lamps! Love the little pom poms too.
Thank you for popping in to see little Carter.
Be a sweetie and have a blessed Easter,
Shelia ;)

tales from an oc cottage said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome!!!!


m ^..^

Diane Mars said...

Thanks for the well wishes, Happy easter to you too! I am almost at 500 peeps time for a giveaway right after Easter. oxox, Diane

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

loooooove the polka dots:) u did a great job girl!