Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Monday, April 25, 2011

Doll Chair Make Over And Decals 101

I found another little Home Interiors doll chair at the Goodwill! It was exactly like my other old brown one so I gave it the exact same make over! No need to show a before pic. Just imagine this chair in brown wood. ☺ *I'll give you some decal applying tips at the end of this post.* I loved this morning sun coming through my bedroom window! Hello, sun! Yes, we LIKE you!


Primer+ Pink paint + Meyercord decals = Girlie Ever After! I display my melamine sugar bowl + decal in its seat.


This new chair is a *bit* different than the first one which is pictured in my side bar. The pink paint is lighter and I arranged the decals slightly different.

Decals 101:



*I still feel like a beginning decal applier but here is what I've learned so far!*



1. If you've never worked with decals before, applying them to a non porous surface is easier than unfinished wood or flat paint. The wood or flat paint will grab fast to the decal and there is not much opportunity for sliding it around and positioning it differently than where it lands. A satin or gloss finish paint is easier for the decal to slide on.


2. Leaving the decal in the water too long can be a problem- you'll lose too much glue. Less time in the water is better than more.


3. Practice working with small decals before attempting a larger one. Applying a large decal is NOT easy! They crease easily and they are less forgiving. You must work quickly and precisely.



4. Placing your fingers on both sides of the decal while positioning it is helpful and with this small chair, that wasn't possible. I can imagine that applying a large decal to a larger surface space would be much easier.

**************

I hope to make my own decals some day but the decals in this project were purchased from The Decal Cottage. Go take a look!


Have a great day everyone! You are the frosting on my cake!

3 comments:

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

0 comments? :(

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

Oh Holly, this chair is so cute! Hee-hee! It's amazing what a little paint can do! Thanks for the decal tips, too. I know it takes time to put together a post like this. ♥

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

oh how cute! i remember my mom having one of the H.I wooden chairs:)