Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Neighbors, Dust And Moving On!


My nearest neighbors dropped by the other night to introduce themselves with a plate of cookies and this fresh Christmas greenery for the front door!  SO SWEET!  Of course it totally flustered me and I blathered like an idiot and I'm sure they could hear my heart pounding.  Can we say "Social Anxiety"?  Ha-ha!  If I could change one thing about about myself, it would be that.  Unexpected people fluster me.  I've almost always lived in the country and no one just drops by in the country- they call first to make sure you're home.  Had my husband been home, he would have coolly calmed the situation but he and my son were gone and I was having what I thought was some much needed alone time.  Guess again!  **Thank you for all the front door advice!  I loved the idea of painting poster board first and trying it out.  For now, I'm thinking of putting some blue pink, yellow floral paper in the petals of the window and calling it good!  (a tall person can see through them!)  It occurred to me that this isn't the time of year to paint outside anyway so I'll have till spring to think about the color!** 

Here's happy on the empty happy shelves before we left the farm but guess what?  He's happy anywhere he goes!  That's what I like about him!  See the dust rings?  ☺  I never dusted up there. ☺ I love to clean my house but with my back problems, that doesn't mean it's always clean!

And here's further evidence of that!  GROSS!!!  Just a little bit of a reality shot of what we found when we moved the wood box that did not sit flush to the floor!  so when I say that I love to clean my house, please don't imagine that it *is* clean!

On my last day at the farm, I had a grand plan to take a last dramatic walk with little camera shots along the way.  This is as far as I got because it was soooo muddy!  Oh well, I was ready to move on anyway.  I had really been saying goodbye since spring when we were told we would have to leave and the walk felt hallow and staged.  I didn't even walk through the empty house and say goodbye like I usually do when I leave a house.  It was strange.  I'm tired of being sad and ready to be happy!

I'm so enjoying all of your Christmas posts!  Thanks so much for posting!  For me, it's just boxes, boxes and more boxes (and gross dust bunnies) so I'm reveling in the beauty of your decorated homes and sweet crafts!    

15 comments:

Kim K. said...

As much as I fake being a social bug at work (can't be shy in front of students or faculty), I totally understand the privacy thing at home. That was very nice of your neighbors though. Take your time getting settled. Enjoy the moments.

Jacqueline said...

I loved the farm tribute, that must have been healing but bittersweet at the same time.

Onward Holly goes, from the deep sadness to the delightful happiness of her new home. I love Pollyanna moments in time.

Ms. Redo said...

Oh I do feel your social anxiety, but honestly mine is worse if I know they're coming, I run around like nut picking up, cleaning up, wearing myself out. I'm sure you did just fine with the new neighbors, however, and it was super nice of them. When we moved into our new house 3 years ago ... whew, just trust me, there were no neighbors stopping by with cookies and wreaths to welcome us - we're not in a friendly neighborhood. Still, we've made several friends here and love them. Glad you're moving on! Hugs ~ Mary

GardenofDaisies said...

Very glad that you have neighbors that are thoughtful enough to stop by and welcome you. It truly does say a lot about their personalities. I do enjoy chatting with my nice neighbors across the fence when we're out doing yard work at the same time. We've shared together in a couple of few hot dog and smore cookouts, and even a couple of holiday dinners. I have a very grouchy neighbor on the other side, so it makes me appreciate my nice neighbors even more.

Old Fashioned Gal said...

We very rarely have house guests. We too live out in the country. Most of our family lives about 30 minutes away and they hardly ever come to visit.
How sweet of your new neighbors to visit and bring such sweet gifts!
You aren't the only one with dustbunnies in hiding. Between my back issues, working full time, being pregnant and lack of motivation here lately, I'm sure there are dustbunnies hoping around and behind furniture.
I can't wait to see the progress of your home! So exciting! :)
-Denise

chris mckinley said...

How nice to have the neighbors stop by. You will learn to enjoy having them I'm sure!!

chris

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Holly, how nice to have the neighbors pop in with gifts.....love the greens for the door........Blessings Francine.

Protector of Vintage said...

So nice to hear you have considerate neighbors!! The greenery on the door looks very inviting.

My Vintage Mending said...

I have terrible social anxiety...almost shuts me down. I have to work myself up for it...love the front door and I know all about those dust bunnies...smiles..Renee

Lisa said...

Yay for your new cottage!! I am happy you were ready to move on!
Hugs, Lisa

vintage grey said...

So wonderful to have such nice neighbors! Enjoy settling in your sweet new home! xo Heather

✿Carol✿ said...

I loved the farm tribute Holly, and I'll admit it, I teared up a little bit!

If your door opens up into the living room, which you said is white, I think you could go with any color in the rainbow! Picture it sitting open, against the white wall. What color is your couch? Maybe pick a color from there?

I think I am a girl that lives in the burbs but belongs in the country....I value my privacy tremendously and am socially inept! It's good to have nice neighbors that know how to respect those boundaries!

Chenille Cottage said...

Welcome Home, Holly!
I'm so glad you're in before Christmas. I hope you are able to enjoy the process of moving into a new place. There's always so much to do and I pray that you will be snug as a bug in a rug in a very short time.
Thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind comment.
Blessings and a Merry CHRISTmas!
Carolynn xx

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Hey Holly, I bet I have more dust than you. We are moving this week too so I'll see what's there when everything is out of the house. Did you decide what color to paint the front door? Good luck in the new home... I know you will be happy once you are settled.

Rebecca♥

Creative Breathing said...

Holly, Your Farm post nearly did me in. SOB! I'm over it now, time to move on. Nothing says Holly's happy home like your little red apple on a white shelf. There! I already can't wait for the next post! Happy Home! E