Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Ribbon Carousel

I have so many new readers that I thought I'd reboot this OLD post.
*Note that this is an older post from 2011*
Look girls! I'm so proud of my latest creation! I think it's scrumptious! For now, I'm calling it a ribbon carousel! Do you think that's a good name? Have you seen one of these before? I don't know if I have seen one and mentally copied it or if I made it up on my own. My 7 year old Grand girl spent the night with me and I made this for her room while she was here. We started out making something else but it wasn't turning out. I think this turned out pretty well for a mistake!


GG helped pick out most of the ribbons and watched me make much of it before running off to play. I didn't have to go buy anything to make this. I used only what I had on hand. But now of course now I'm trim poor! (Many of these ribbons and trims came from blogging friends as gifts or give away wins!)


This was so much fun to make. If I would have had it longer, I would have added even more ribbon but there was no way GG was going to leave it with me! Ha-ha! I took around 30 pics of it and it was hard to narrow them down!


This carousel will hang from her bedroom ceiling. I used a fabric wrapped embroidery hoop for the base and tied or glued all the ribbons and pom poms on.



I covered the outer base when I was done, using a wide strip of beaded trim. I could have covered the inside too but decided not to since it will be hanging too high for anyone to see inside. Here it is hanging in front of my built in hutch so you can get a better idea of its actual size.


My GG and I had a wonderful girl's "weekend" together. My boy went off camping with her dad so we switched kids! I don't know how many times she told me that she was SOOOO glad that she had me all to herself! We crafted, went shopping two days in a row- the first day to the thrift store and the second day to the antique shop. We watched Anne Of Green Gables, had a hair and make up session, baked cupcakes, sun bathed and swam in the pool and Bobby took us out to lunch at our local coffee shop which has an outdoor cafe! It was so fun and I have strict orders to rest today! And I will!


Enjoy YOUR day whether it's work or play! You desrve to enjoy your life!


Holly


I'm linking up with:







23 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hi Holly! This turned out so cute! Love it! You are so talented. I know your GG is going to love it for a long time. We had fun today! Got to go shopping at craft stores and antique store! Have a nice weekend! Twyla

Ruby Jean said...

Oh So PRETTY....That would make a GREAT Birthday Party Center Piece over a table... Or really any GIRLY celebration....Then hung in a room...Love it...Hope to see you this Monday again... : ) you should link this up..

Creative Breathing said...

Oh Holly, I gasped to visit your posts about your farm. The yellow roses, the open spaces, breath taking. To visit here is always like opening the window. Fresh and wonderful!
A very lucky girl to have these beautiful ribbons to hang in her room!
Have a lovely Sunday! Elizabeth

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

Oh Holly, I absolutely LOVE it!! What an adorable idea, soo pretty and it looks so fun to make too. You girls are so creative. I love the colors and different textures too!
Big hugs,

Amy

VintageBettys said...

Holly,we love the ribbon carousel! That is a perfect name and what a perfect piece of eye candy for a little girls room :) That would sell well on etsy for sure,...We mean if you planned on making them to sell. Very scrumptously cute! I glad you are making memories that GG will surely treasure in the future.

Have a great day!
Laura and Michele

Roselle said...

Holly:
This is AMAZING, so girly and gorgeous!!! I LOVE it!!!

Think of the possibilities...you can make them color coordinated for the holidays (Halloween, Christmas, etc.).

You can get larger and smaller hoops and make them in different sizes too.

Don't worry too much about all your missing ribbon, now you have an excuse to buy more ;)

Again...LOVE THIS.

Post this to Amaze me Monday and all the other crafting blog parties. It's da bomb!

Roselle

Beth Niquette said...

You are so inspiring--I think I'm going to have to make one of these!!!

Jacqueline said...

I saw this on FB and had to come get a close up...so cute in pure Holly style!

Mindy said...

What a great idea! Don't you love days with g-kids? Nothing better!

Cheryl said...

Super cute. What a fun idea for a birthday party!!

Megan said...

My Girls would love something like this in their bedrooms! How cute!

retrorevival.biz said...

Holly, this is so sweet and fanciful! I haven't seen one of these before but sure wish I had when my daughter was young ~ would've been perfect in her bedroom!

~Cindy

~~Carol~~ said...

That's a very nice little pretty that you made for your GG! The pom-pom trim is what really does it for me. I can only imagine how much you enjoyed her visit. It must have been nice to have another girl in the house for awhile!

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

so cute! i have never seen anything like it before...looks like you made up something pretty fabulous there!

Julie Ann said...

Awww- that is soooo cute!!! I love this idea :)

Leslie said...

What a cute little carousel! This sounds like a fantastic activity to share with your GG. The boys just don’t understand fun in craftiness!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog today-happy Wednesday!

{oc cottage} said...

So magical!!!!!!

m ^..^

DondaLee's said...

Hi Holly! I loved your original carousel so much that I featured it in my "weekend wrap up"! Check it out here:

http://dondalees.blogspot.com/2011/08/weekend-wrap-up_28.html


Dondi

Daisy Pink Cupcake said...

Very Whismical....and so Cute!
Daist~

Sue said...

Hi Holly, I just LOVE your Carousel! I have 2 granddaughters, aged 4 and almost 2 and the 4 year old is at the age now where she is happy to come stay at Nanny's house. I cant wait!! I will have lots of fun planned, things like you did with your Granddaughter. Isnt it just THE BEST to be a grandparent?? Hugs n Blessings from Sue in Oz xx

Beedeebabee said...

This is so cute, Holly! What a perfect addition to a little girls room! xo

Musings from Kim K. said...

I think my craft room needs one of these. It's so pretty. What a wonderful way to spend time with your granddaughter.

Elyse said...

so many adorbs projects here, busy holly! your blog sure lives up to its name!

xo
elyse