Hi, I'm Holly! Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Hi, I'm Holly!  Welcome to cutie pie cottage

Sunday, September 22, 2013

It's Never Too Late!

(This parody post must be read in a newscaster voice.)

Welcome to- 
It's Never Too Late!  
In this segment, we introduce you to Holly.

Holly of Cutie Pie Cottage HAD suffered from a sewing phobia since HIGH SCHOOL but she over came her fear last winter and learned how to make fabric yo yos.  Not only did Holly learn how to make fabric yo yos but now she has learned- how to sew them TOGETHER.

Holly told us, "I had always loved the look of yo yos."  I thought they were so cute but never thought I could make one since it involved a needle and thread!"
But Holly's friend, Elizabeth believed she could do it and gave Holly a yo yo maker and even some fabric.  But it was still another year before Holly was brave enough to pick up the needle and try.

Making yo yos is now a favorite pass time for Holly and we think she's doing a great job.  Holly says she began adding buttons to the center of her yo yos to hide her unsightly knots but we think these button centers JUST might become one of her signature looks.  What do you readers think?

Please keep in mind that Holly asked us to not look TOO closely at the stitching together of her first mat and to please, NOT flip it over!  Ha-ha, don't worry, Holly.  We're sure your stitching will improve in time.

We have a feeling there will be more yo yo mats in Holly's future and just maybe there will be one in YOURS, too!  Thanks for tuning in and remember- IT'S NEVER TOO LATE to learn something new!  

(Hee-hee- feeling silly today!)

25 comments:

Lorena Wheeler said...

So darling!!!! Love those yoyos all together with your sweet fall arrangements and yoyo pumkin ;). Glad you overcame your sewing fear..lol
Lorena

Linda said...

It is fun to be silly! We do not do it enough! Have a lovely Sunday, and now I want to learn how to make yo yo's!
Linda@Wetcreek Blog

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Oh, my gosh! You did good! I too keep an eye ball on Yo-yos and keep thinking , Maybe.. some day! You overcame and came out strong!! I have become brave and in the all time, ""Thinking really hard"" about making my first quilt. Scared.. yes!
You are very encouraging :)
blessings,
Susie

Marilyn said...

Silly Girl!!!! LOve your YO_YO'S.
I might make some too.

vintage grey said...

LOve it all!! So pretty and sweet!! xo Heather

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love all the colors and what you did with those wonderful fabrics...too cute...so sweet...Phyllis

Patti said...

I love thisost! I don't really care for Halloween, but I LOVE your colorful Fall display! I always find inspiration on your blog!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Yay for Holly! I knew you could do it! It's beautiful! I think your yo yo's are so perfect. Mine have irregular centers. Keep making more! Twyla

vivian said...

yes, you are silly and yes those turned out adorable! Arent you glad you got over that phobia!? lol!
have a great week Holly.
xoxo
vivian

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

I love your yo-yo's!!! Darn those old school sewing teachers. They made a lot of us hate sewing! Big giant frowny face :( xoxo

Musings from Kim K. said...

Maybe you will be my inspiration to not hate the needle and thread so much. Your yo-yos are wonderful.

Mary Clark said...

Thank you, Ms. Newscaster, for introducing us to Holly who overcame her needle (and thread) phobia and went on to make gorgeous yo-yos (of which I am the proud owner of one, which I dearly love) and now has sewn them together to create a mat. What an inspiring story! :)

Hugs ~ Mary

Melissa said...

Silly days are the best days! Love your YoYo's!

donna said...

So cute. Your yo yo's looks great. They are so much fun to make. Looking forward to seeing more my dear.
Hugs
donna

Simply Shelley said...

You did a wonderful job....I love your yo yo mat. I still haven't started mine....thank you for the encouragement....maybe it isn't to late for me :) Blessings on your week. I am sorry you aren't feeling well...I had an endoscopy back in April..it wasn't bad...I pray your test results are good.

Jane said...

You're such a cutie and so are your yo-yos!

I didn't know about yo-yo makers - I just cut circles & gather around the edges.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such cute photos!! All your yo yos look so cute together!! Love your bulbs in the basket!! :) Happy sweet day! xo Holly

ThrifterSisters said...

Good for you for overcoming your apprehension regarding sewing! You have definitely given me hope :-)

~Erica

★Carol★ said...

Always good to see a happy story on the news ;0)

There's no stopping you now! Maybe there is a yo-yo quilt in your future? I started one about 20 years ago and I'm still not finished with it. I started it when we were waiting to see if we were going to get this house. And then I just kept adding to it. You've inspired me to go look for that quilt.....right NOW!

Perfectly Printed said...

I'm going to have to look for a yo-ya maker! I love them!! You have done a great job!!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Holly. it is wonderful!!! Whenever I find a vintage pillow covered with yo-yo's it sell immediately. How wonderful that you revived a long forgotten art!

Carol

Debbie Booth said...

Holly I love those fabric yo yo's...you are brave. I have never made one...and I have been sewing since third grade...just a few short years ago! Bwahahaha. I love what you made. It is so pretty. Love the colors too. Beautiful fabrics...very nice.
Debbie

Linda Ruthie said...

I looked closely and what I saw was wonderful! You've done a great job with the needle and thread. Your post was very fun. ☺

CoriLynn said...

You are so cute! Good job! I cannot sew and am so envious of those who can. It is my goal this winter to learn how to make a circle skirt. You are inspiring me that I can do it!
Thanks Holly!
~xoxo, CoriLynn

Beedeebabee said...

This was the cutest post, Holly, and I did read it in a newscaster's voice! All your pretty yoyo's make me want to make some myself! xo